YELLOW

 

Room 19
8min 31sec | Poetic Documentary | 2019

Synopsis
Room 19 shares my emotional experience of the space that I live in temporally in Oxford - the 19th space I have lived in since 2001. Inspired by Doris Lessing’s collected stories To Room Nineteen (1978), which addresses the historical context of women’s rights and their role in a conservative London society of the time, I draw on Lessing’s use of psychological realism and colour to reveal my contradictory and complex emotions, such as anxiety, freedom, and stability, that I feel as an Asian women living in the UK. Using a minimalist aesthetic I film my space using the duration image, the static frame and small intimate gestures to create a sense of tension, time and memory within the images.


I referred to her work in the development process of thinking about how to express this work. The way she tried to express the content of her work was very similar to mine. In the middle of the video of her work, racist news flows out in Korean. It is not the same type of work as mine, but it became a good reference work because we express similar themes differently.


Hong, H. (2019) Room 19. Available at: https://vimeo.com/353303591 (Accessed: 24 February 2021)

Room 19 (2019) [Screenshot]. Available at: https://vimeo.com/353303591 (Accessed: 24 February 2021)

 

댓글

가장 많이 본 글